You’ve had a bad day at work and all you want to do is just get home, have dinner and relax. Oh! Looks like there’s heavy traffic because the city chose today (of all days) to start some new construction. You finally make it out of traffic and get to your house. Walk in the door, go to the kitchen and you see your counter is covered with ants. The dishes you left out this morning because you where running late attracted them to the all you can eat buffet on your counter. Well, this just put’s the cherry on top doesn’t it?
Luckily for you there are lots of different types of ant killers that can be made at home and are also non-toxic. You can whip them up in a jiffy and get rid of those ants fast.
For a natural ant killer spray solution:
- Mix water and vinegar in a spray bottle. This kills the ants and doubles as a cleaning agent.
- Mix water and ammonia in spray bottle. This will also kill the ants and clean your counter.
If you have ants in your house and you’re looking for a natural ant killer then vinegar and ammonia are a perfect choice that won’t harm your family, pets or the environment.
If there is an ant problem outside or perhaps carpenter ants are burrowing into your home then you need a different strategy for getting rid of ants in your house. You can pick up insecticides at your local hardware store but many of them can be harmful to your family. Buying different types of sprays, traps and baits can add up but making your own homemade ant killer can ensure your wallet takes less of a hit.
Alternative Solutions For Getting Rid of Ants:
The methods below use non-toxic to low toxic products and most you can easily pick up at your grocery store. These are ways you can use bait to destroy the nest.
- Boric acid is something we’ve talked about as an effective ant killer. It’s effective low-toxic ant bait that can wipe out the entire colony of carpenter ants, pharaoh ants, garden ants and other ant pests. Mix 7 tsp. of corn syrup with 1 tsp. of boric acid or ‘Borax’ (a brand name version of boric acid). Put it in a plastic container and poke some holes in the side so the ants can get in.
- You can feed the ants cornmeal, wheat flour or dried rice which acts as a natural ant killer. The ants eat it and it expands inside their stomachs, killing them.
Ant Killer to Get Rid of an Entire Colony or Ant Nest:
The final way to get rid of ants is to actually eliminate the ant nest itself.
Read our blog on tracking ants for tips on how to find the nest. Once you do, you can hit the ants at the source which will render that nest completely useless for other colonies in the future.
- Pour boiling water inside the nest mixed with citrus oil, eucalyptus oil, tea tree oil, cayenne pepper or habanero peppers. This kills the ants and it makes the nest an uninhabitable place for future colonies.
- Ask if you have pipe smoking tobacco on hand, you can let it sit in water over night. Strain out the tobacco and pour that liquid down into the nest. The nicotine acts as a poison that not only kills the ants but also makes the nest unlivable for future colonies.
- Drive a stake into the ground right above the nest and make a hole. Fill the hole halfway with baking soda and the rest with vinegar. You will not only be reminiscing about an old grade seven science experiment but you will be getting rid of ants, too. The baking soda and vinegar creates a poison for the ants that gets into the deeper tunnels.
- Putting in diatomaceous earth inside and around the nest will kill the ants. This product is finely ground fossilized sea creatures, which makes the dust jagged and sharp from an ant’s perspective. To us it’s just fine ground powder but to an ant it’s like stepping on razor blades, and effectively kills them by penetrating their exoskeletons and causing them to dehydrate. It’s effective and all natural because it’s organic matter.
So don’t worry about your ant problem any longer. You have plenty of ant killers to choose form. Some of them are natural ant killers, and some are a little more toxic. It’s up to you to choose which one is right for you and your home. If you’re dealing with a severe ant infestation and your pesky ants keep coming back despite your efforts, it’s probably time to call a professional exterminator.
At Magical Pest Control we have a specialized ant division and we can take care of your infestations easily using safe, effective solutions intended to get rid of ants. Give Magical Pest Control a call at (905) 738-6676 or contact us online. We are always happy to serve our GTA community and to answer any of your questions about ants and ant removal.